Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Toofer!!

We have a tooth!  Eva's first tooth popped up on Memorial Day!  I didn't even realize it until she stuck my fingers in her mouth and I felt it!  So needless to say the first tooth came in pretty easy.  You can hardly see it, but it's her bottom left.  Her bottom right is going to be right behind - it is just below her gums.  

I gave her mashed potatoes in a cup, and she tried drinking them.
 
then I just put them on her tray and she gobbled them up.  Can you tell she's feeding herself?   (I'm not quite this sloppy when I feed her)  She also had ribs...you know, typical baby food :)

     So those pictures were all from yesterday, so now I'll backtrack.  We had an awesome long weekend.  On Friday, Eva went to her first movie!  We went to the drive-in theater with a bunch of friends including another couple with a baby.  The movie didn't start until 8:30, so my master plan was for Eva to fall asleep in the car on the way to the theater and just sleep through the movie in the car.  It was a 20 minute drive and past her bedtime so I was sure she'd fall asleep.  NOPE!  But, once we parked I just covered her up in her carseat to make it dark and she did fall asleep phew!  We sat outside of the cars and she slept inside.  (there is no chance she would have slept on me since there was so much to look at.  And the movie just was not baby appropriate so I didn't want her to stay awake :)  It worked out fine this time, although she did wake up all sweaty and I just held her (wide awake) for the remainder of the movie.  So next time we'll have to take my car since that can be on without the lights staying on and then she can sleep peacefully in the AC.  If we had Eli's car on with the AC on, then the lights were also on.  It was only in the 80's but still a little warm.  But we will perfect this and get to watch movies this summer!  (and why we don't go to the drive-in when it's not 115 at night, I'm not quite sure.  We haven't gone since last summer, and it's not awful outside once the sun is down even though it's definitely still in the 100's, but it'd be much more pleasant in the 70's)  But anyway, on Saturday, Nick and Janet used their gift certificate for a resort nearby, and they were able to have Phil and Sarah and us come to the resort to hang out at the pool for the day.  Their room opened up to the pool, so we had Eva nap in their room while the rest of us enjoyed the sun!  We'd take turns sitting on the room's patio and being in the pool so Eva was always being guarded and then when she woke up we brought her in the water and she loved it!  I'm so glad that so far she loves water and she's comfortable playing in it and even going under - hopefully it'll stay that way.  That night we all went out for Mexican food, Eva ate her first Mexican rice and it was a hit.  We stayed out until 9 and she was happy the whole time.  She is such a trooper.
      On Saturday, we went to Sedona with the same group of friends.  We left before Eva's first nap so she'd sleep the whole way up.  That worked like a charm.  Our plan was to hike and bring sandwiches to have a little picnic up on the rocks (in Sedona they aren't really mountains, they're like giant rocks).  Sedona was super duper busy, but we got really lucky and got parking spots at Bell Rock so we could hike.  It was soooo windy!  But we didn't fly off the rocks so it was fine.  Then afterwards we went into the town of Sedona and it took a long time!  It was just a couple miles but traffic was very slow and it took about 45 minutes.  It was Eva's nap time but she didn't fall asleep until the last 10 minutes, but again she was very happy and a great baby.  In town we just stopped at an ice cream place and got some fudge, and then headed home.  Eva slept the whole way home.  Such a good traveler!

Nick, Janet, Sarah, Phil and Lexi...



it was a very beautiful day other than the wind

the background is so pretty, it almost looks like we are photoshopped in

The boys left us for a few minutes and went up the steep part.  We thought maybe Eva wasn't quite ready to scale the rocks.





These look like really cool Senior Pictures...10 years too late




well that's it for Sedona - it was really pretty as always!


Eva was helping Daddy play the guitar.  She would use the guitar pick correctly about 30% of the time, and attempt to eat it about 70% of the time.
And Eva does not discriminate - she is open to eating anything!  She's happily devoured ribs, mashed potatoes, broccoli, peas, a cat nail, chicken, a piece of carpet, sweet potatoes, bread, spaghetti, cat litter, etc etc.  Okay, so luckily - as far as I know - she hasn't actually gotten the cat litter into her mouth.  It gets stuck in their paws and they track it into her play area.  I am really good about vacuuming (I know!  can you believe I vacuum on a daily basis now!) but somehow her eagle eyes still spot it occasionally.  I have fished out carpet and a cat nail from her mouth though - gross!!!  I wonder if I should be admitting that... hmmm.  I didn't even know cats lost their nails.  Apparently it can happen.  Luckily Eva makes a face when she has something in her mouth so I can spot it immediately, but I don't even want to think about what would have happened if she would have attempted to swallow it... Now she keeps tricking me though because she's making that face all the time since she has a new tooth to feel, so I keep squeezing her cheeks to check out her mouth, but it's always just been the tooth.  I've started a new game with her where every time she picks up something I cheer and take it and say thank you with all the enthusiasm I can muster (which is a lot - teaching Kindergarten has really paid off).  And now she's actually started picking things up and showing them to me now instead of going directly in her mouth, and she doesn't cry when I take them, so I think it's progress!  Pretty soon I won't have to vacuum at all because she'll just pick everything up for me!  woohoo. 

ok, now I will continue backwards.  These pictures are from earlier in the week.
I have an action photo of Mr. B escaping.

hmm I wonder what she was doing. 

can't keep her away

nothing like a mouthful of cat hair to start off your day



here are some videos.  The first one is Eva's favorite past time - bothering 'petting' the kitties.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment